From the moment I got to the top floor of Colegio Bebecue (think BBQ) this evening, I could feel my heart lift. People were starting to arrive, taking off their flip flops at the door, and getting ready to unroll their mats. As the regulars shared hugs and hellos with each other, a tall, lanky tanned man came over to greet me - a kiss and a hug and a warm "welcome to class."
I settled down onto my mat and took it all in. This was exactly what I needed, and precisely what I had been so desperately missing in the past 5 weeks. Eyes closed and in a supine twist, the last thing I noticed before I started to zone out was that the open air room surrounded by trees, in combination with soft background music of birds chirping, made me feel like I was in some tropical tree house. And then I let it all go, closed my eyes, and followed directions given in a soft-spoken Spanish.
The yoga itself was, shall we say, a bit unorthodox - at least compared to my previous experiences - but that didn't matter. I won't be going for the sake of perfecting my handstand. I was content enough to be in a yoga community again, blissing out in meditative movement for 90 minutes. And for less than $10, I've paid for a month unlimited (it's only 2x/wk...but who cares)...
So, gracias Sr. Victor, for reminding me to respirar - lento y profundo - and NAMASTE.
No comments:
Post a Comment