Saturday, July 24, 2010

NOAA, You're a Real Buzz-kill

I would absolutely love the rainy season here...if I never had to leave my apartment. Waking up every morning to see the sunrise, and the daily storm roll in from the ocean, has been beautiful. Unfortunately, after it happens for a week straight ...when it means flooded streets (and flooded apartments), slippery sidewalks, soaked feet, and not a cab to be found in all of Sto. Domingo...well, let's just say the novelty wears off.

Friday I was tempted to just call in sick. It was to be a half-day for me anyway, and all I had planned was to attend the emergency action committee's briefing on our hurricane plan.  - reason enough to abandon my flooded laundry room in favor of work. By 10am, though, we received early dismissal due to the rains (except for those attending the meeting, of course).

I learned several very nerdy things in that EAC meeting. For starters, the average hurricane season (June 1-Nov 30, officially) produces approx. up to 11 named storms, with maybe up to 3-5 of those reaching full hurricane status.  This year, NOAA had been predicting an especially 'long and active' season.  That prediction has since turned into:  14-23 named storms, with 7-14 becoming full blown hurricanes.  Apparently La NiƱa is at it again, raising temperatures in the Atlantic Basin and ready to wreak havoc while she's at it. The peak of the season is August - October, with the ultimate hurricane-making day falling on September 10th. (who knew you could predict such a thing?!) Not to be outdone by NOAA's numbers, our disaster relief people reminded us that it only takes a tropical storm to cause severe damage. A tropical storm that hit Gonaive, Haiti in 2004 killed 3,000 people. Yesterday's rain put Sto. Domingo in the red alert category for flash floods and mudslides. (Don't worry, from my perch on the 8th floor of a very nice apt bldg, I am no where near a flood or mudslide). And Tropical Storm Bonnie?  That's only #2 of the season - 12 to 21 left to go...

So, NOAA, thanks for the buzz kill.  Your sobering predictions have me crossing all fingers and toes that we won't have another natural disaster strike this island this year.  BUT, as I left the meeting yesterday, ready for the worst, I was greeted by blue skies and city streets already sizzling from the Caribbean sun...so here's to a glimmer of hope that the predictions of weathermen don't come true

1 comment:

  1. Like your blog Liz! Can't wait to hear your funny DR accent when you try to speak Spanish!

    ReplyDelete