Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Liz vs. Wild - rematch

the Wild wins.   ouch!

Well, the month of no Mondays has ended and February brought work back with a vengeance. BUT, I did get in a fabulous 4-day weekend of fun with my SDQ friends, Nicki and Robert, and my visiting friends, Jesse and Oana.  It was a blissful weekend that began with lemon-ricotta pancakes (my own recipe) and freshly made fruit juice...and ended with me not quite able to sit down without wincing (but full of a weird sense of accomplishment) - in between?  beautiful beaches, fresh lobster-on-the-grill lunches, bocci with the new set (no more coconut bocci for us!), a drink called Honey Lips, humpback whales, and some of the freshest, yummiest fish I have ever eaten!...oh yeah, and a 50ft. cliff-jump into the ocean.

The five of us went to Las Galeras, Samana for the weekend. It's on the tip of the Samana peninsula, and still largely untouched by the tourism industry.  There are amazing beaches there, some which you can only access by boat, and the area is the winter home/nursery for humpback whales. In Las Galeras, there is also the best restaurant on the island.  At the little cliff-top restaurant and camping ground called, El Cabito, you should really call a day ahead to make a reservation. Why, you ask? if this place is so off the beaten track...well, it's because they want to know ahead of time how many people and when you plan to come - that way they can go fishing for your fresh fish (or lobster) in anticipation of your arrival.  When we got there, they presented us with 5 whole dorados (mahi mahi), which were definitely alive that morning, and asked us how we preferred to have them cooked.  The restaurant is open-air with a thatched roof, and literally sits overhanging/overlooking the cliff.  50ft below you can see the serene, turquoise waters of the mar caribe hitting the cliff face (on rougher days, best not sit next to the railing. the awesome splash might get high enough to get you wet).

There is an overhang on the cliff next to the restaurant where you can jump off from (on calm days only). At one time, there was a ladder underneath to climb out again...but a storm took it away and the owner, John, hasn't had time to build a new one yet.  Luckily, a short (10min) swim around the "corner" takes you to a low, flat rock where it's relatively easy to get out of the ocean.  So, you guessed it - challenge of the day?  jump off the cliff and don't chicken out.  (we chose to do this before lunch, so we wouldn't waste a good meal).  I went first, since I was the birthday girl (and the crazy one who's idea it was in the first place). Jesse followed, then Robert.  I leaped without fear, and screamed as the "oh my god, my stomach is in my throat" feeling hit me...but I noticed that my form was a little off as I got closer to the water. I was sure to keep my arms in, to prevent a nasty bruise, but I felt like I was leaning too far back and risked a back-smacker (and from 50ft, well you can imagine!)...So, I tried to upright myself a bit, and nearly succeeded, except that my legs were scissored and I was leaning to the right, just a bit... 

smack. SPLASH!!!  "Holy SH*T!!  hahaha I made it!! (oh man, that's gonna leave a mark)  "Come on, Jesse!!! keep your arms in!"  (2 down, 1 to go).  YOU CAN DO IT, ROB!!!.  YES!! excellent form! (3 down, all alive...let's swim to shore)  What a rush!  After a good swim and some scrambling on the rocks to get out, the three of us stood there, staring at each other wide-eyed.  "you ok?" "yeah" "oh my god, we did it!" "yeah!" ...now how do we find the restaurant again? let's go eat!  

It didn't take long for my bruise(s) to show up.  They were indeed the ugliest ones I've ever had...but they only lasted a couple of weeks.  I've conquered that cliff...no need to do it again.  Sore as I might have been afterwards, though, it was totally worth it.  What a great birthday! (made great more by the friends I had with me than the cliff, by the way)  Our lunch at El Cabito was so fabulous, and place so serene, that we stayed there through dinner (and a second meal) and on into the night - dancing, drinking, taking photos, and dancing some more. 
At the end of it all, I was sad to have to take Jesse and Oana to the airport.  Too bad they couldn't just stay here for longer (like forever, maybe?)...As for the 3 of us, well, we'll find ourselves back in Las Galeras soon enough. After all, there are more beaches to explore, we haven't dived there yet, and then there are the whales....

For right now, though, February is Carnaval here in the DR.  I hear it's a party every weekend - but watch out! cause the be-deviled, costumed parade participants have large inflated rubber bladders stuck on sticks, which they use to hit you in the ass if you get in their way (or even if you don't). I've got to watch my behind - no more bruises!!

No comments:

Post a Comment